Friday, December 15, 2006

Last night I had a dream

Last night I had a dream.

I saw Jesus kneeling in the dust, drawing with his finger. Around him there was a terrible argument going on.

Some people on one side were shouting about a man who had been caught in a homosexual relationship. Some were waving bibles, some were waving banners. Some were going a very strange colour in the face.

On another side, others were shouting about their rights, the bigotry of others, injustice and pain. Some were waving bibles, some were waving banners. Some were going a very strange colour in the face.

I thought that maybe the two sides were going to come to blows. Eventually they bent down and picked up stones from the street and began to get ready to throw them at each other.

And in between was Jesus. Sitting quietly, drawing in the dust. The two sides were getting so aggitated that they forgot he was even there. I wondered what he was drawing so I strained to see. I wondered why he wasn't saying anything to calm the shouting or to say what was right or wrong about the situation.

Then all of a sudden, the sides began to fight. And like an Asterix cartoon, the dust rose obscuring the people fighting. Under the dust and the flying fists, I saw Jesus fall to the ground, his face bloodied.

I can't remember the drawing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karin said...

Very moving, Joe.

Yet beneath the anger, the bigotry and bitterness is real fear, hurt and pain, perhaps confusion, too. Maybe Jesus could deal with these if people let him? Maybe there can be an alternative ending to your dream some of the time.

I hope.

5:39 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

No idea, Karin.

I'm offering a dream, not an explanation.

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home