Wednesday, July 25, 2007

OI, NO!

Can you think of any good reason why the classic Monkees song 'I'm a believer' should be used as a praise song in church? No, I didn't think so.

If you can think of any other great songs which (although technically possible to slightly change to become vaguely religious) should never be sung by an off-key 'worship' band, please list them below.

It is one thing to destroy a rather average Matt Redman song or a decidely below average Kendrick number (can anyone actually sing any of his songs all the way through? Am I the only one who finds it impossible to reach the notes?) or even an evil Hillsongs song. All of these are fair game.

But to destroy one of the classics of twentieth century pop? Sacrilige of the highest order.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Karin said...

'I don't know how to love him', which has obvious religious connotationsbut should still never be given the worship band treatment.

I'm not surprised you have trouble hitting the notes, so do I. For some reason music in church is mostly played to be sung by sopranos, and how many people who attend church are sopranos?

We sang some Wild goose worship on Sunday - A Touching Place. Just beautiful. We also sang Colours of Day, which I also like a lot.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Benjamin Ady said...

love your "even an evil Hillsongs song"

perfect.

I take it you hated the movie Sister Act? Is it the religionization by means of lyric tweaking that tweaks you? Or is is the off-key worship band? Or both? which worse? I find the former slightly amusing, and the latter completely unbearable. Of course it's all relative, isn't it? I mean I have a good friend who's a classicly trained cellist and piano player. He has perfect pitch, and he can hear it when really popular, what seem to me to be mostly on key musicians and bands are a teeny tiny bit off key.

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home