Wednesday, June 11, 2008

10 reasons why Ubuntu is better than Windows

1. You can't make a coffee in the time it takes to boot Ubuntu.

2. Newer versions of Ubuntu are better than the previous version, unlike Windows.

3. Ubuntu rarely crashes, unlike Windows.

4. There are many thousands of viruses affecting Windows. There are only a few dozen affecting Linux. Hence whereas a virus scan for a computer running Windows might take 45 minutes, a linux version of the same virus scanner takes 5 minutes.

5. When you have a problem with Windows, it takes hours of frustration and you can rarely fix it yourself. When you have a problem with Ubuntu, it takes hours of frustration but you can find a fix or someone who knows how to fix it.

6. An Ubuntu user is inevitably learning about how his computer works. A Windows user is waiting for his computer to go wrong.

7. Old versions of Ubuntu are still supported.

8. Bill Gates has nothing to do with Ubuntu.

9. You don't get that annoying Word paperclip in Ubunutu.

10. It is simple to remove any application you don't need in Ubuntu and to find more that you do.

And of course, it is free. Bargain.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although you do make valid arguments, I must say that I find some things unsettling in your article. For instance, in reason 7, you imply that older versions of Windows are not supported. Windows XP and its server counterpart are still supported even though Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 are the newest iterations of the series.

Also, in regard to reason 10, removing and finding new programs seems to be a fairly easy on Windows.

By the way, I do use Linux to do certain tasks, and I find that some of your statements ring of truth. I just wanted to say a few things about some of your more outlandish claims.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

I'm not sure you're really taking my post in the light-hearted nature way it was written.

12:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

11. No BSOD. I recently upgraded XP to SP3. After spending more than an hour updating XP to SP3 my AMD64 HP would not reboot. Instead I was greeted with the infamous blue screen of death and had to boot into safe mode and do a system restore. Not fun! What a waste of time and effort.

5:49 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Thanks Roy. Don't get me wrong - ubuntu is frustrating at times. I'm not even sure what happens if it locks totally, there may well be some kind of BSOD - though I've never seen it.

In my experience, XP is annoying even for the average user.

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home