Thursday, July 17, 2008

the beatitude creed

A good thought from scott over on The Crowded Handbasket, a new blog about being at the edges of faith.

How about this for a novel creed:

I believe that the poor in spirit will inherit the kingdom of Heaven.
I believe there will be comfort for those who mourn.
I believe that being meek is a good thing and that those who give everything will inherit the earth.
I believe that those whose heart is set on seeking righteousness will find it.
I believe the merciful will receive more than they think they deserve.
I believe the pure in heart will be blessed and will see God.
I believe that those who long for peace and do more than others think is safe are children of the living God.
I believe in a place of safety for those who are hurt for trying to do the right thing.

I believe that being poor, and ignored and weak, and sick and tired and broken and messed up and kicked around is not as spiritually dangerous as being self-satisfied and clever and well-clothed and well-fed and degreed and creed-ed and important.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is frickin' brilliant.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

This creed has some merit, but I think I prefer Dave Andrew's "beatitude creed", it's more proactive. Believing all those things is all very nice, but we need to change the way we live to match those beliefs.

1. I will identify with the poor ‘in spirit’.
2. I will grieve over injustice in the world.
3. I will get angry, but never get aggressive.
4. I will seek to do justice, even to my enemies.
5. I will extend compassion to all those in need.
6. I will act with integrity, not for the publicity.
7. I will work for peace in the midst of violence.
8. I will suffer myself, rather than inflict suffering.

http://wecan.be/wp-login.php?action=register

6:31 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Mmmm. Well anyway.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home